Hey everyone! This week I’ll be going over an app that I’m currently working on for a school project and I’ll be explaining some of the development process. In this project, I’ll be working with another mobile developer from my class and will likely also be soliciting some help from our professor. It’s a fairly large-scale project for the time frame that we have to complete it, but I’m confident that we can pull it off.
First, I’ll give a brief overview of the app idea and where it came from. As part of our assignment, we had to go out and find a real-world client and build a mobile app for their business. I connected with an old friend who is now running a marketing company in Toronto and he pitched me his idea – an app created for gamers who like to stay current with the cutting edge of the industry. This app would allow users to take advantage of several key features:
View a list of upcoming new video games (sortable by genre and platform)
Read a description, view images, and watch trailers of the selected game
Rate and view ratings of the game based on how excited you are for its release (hype meter)
Be amongst the first to preorder new games
Before we started the development process, we had to meet with the client and go over the project as a whole and decide what exactly it is that they wanted. Once this was done, we made use of a few tools and methods that usually help streamline development. These include storyboarding, creating a flow chart, and finally, making a Gantt chart. Storyboarding is essentially drawing up a rough image of what each page of the app will look like and where each element lies on each page. A flow chart is a visual representation of how the app works and how the user will navigate the app. The Gantt chart is to plan out each stage of development, assign/track tasks, and allocate resources for the entire project.
We’ll be using Flash Professional CC as a main development tool as well as Photoshop for graphics and Audacity for audio. The main development languages include PHP, MySQL, ActionScript3, Bootstrap, HTML, and CSS. So far, we’ve developed the bulk of the front end and interface, but the most challenging aspects are yet to be built. We still need to create a CMS for the client to load in new content as well as create scripts to develop feeds of the content. These feeds will be read and displayed within the app with the use of AS3 + PHP and the clever placements of elements on the stage. Once complete, we can publish for several platforms including web (SWF), Android (APK), iOS (IPA), and BlackBerry (BAR). This ability to publish for several platforms is one of the major advantages to developing with Adobe’s Flash Pro.
Currently, this app still hasn’t been named. This shouldn’t be much of a problem though, because the client’s marketing company also focuses on branding. Well, that’s all I have for this week and I hope you enjoyed this read. Before you go, please let me know what you think of this app idea and let me know if there are any features you’d like to see in later versions. If you have any cool ideas for branding or a name for this app, please comment below. Also, check out the link below for a preview of the project up to this point. Until next week, thanks!